Tuesday 29 November 2016

ACNECIDE: MY EXPERIENCE.



A while ago, I had a huge breakout - I'm pretty sure it was a reaction to a primer that I tried as my skin started to appear bumpy and textured after using that, however I was impatient and tried to get rid of any blemishes by over-exfoliating - twice a day to be precise. Although the exfoliator was gentle, it was far too much, especially considering you should exfoliate twice a week. I was desperate to get rid of the breakout, but it made it worse.

It got to the point where I was embarrassed of my skin - I've never been one to rely on make up. I never really like to wear masses, and I felt like I had to in order to cover everything up. My Mum dragged me to our local pharmacist and asked them to give me something for my skin - after a short examination of my face, they gave me a 5% Benzoyl Peroxide Gel called Acnecide.. to be quite honest I felt like I had acne.. the spots were large, red and painful and I wanted rid. I started with the gel but was advised that there is a face wash you can use alongside the cream if I didn't feel like it was working. I was also advised to strip back my skincare routine for a while - all my favourite toners and serums had to be put away for a while, and I was to use a mild cleanser twice a day. 

I found the most natural cleanser I owned - a Decleor Aroma Cleanse in the morning, and a Decleor Micellar Oil to remove make up and cleanse at night time. After cleansing both morning and night I applied a generous coat of Acnecide to the affected areas. At first it made my skin itch and feel tight, I remember one day I put it on and my entire face hurt. After a while the pain went away and my skin began to clear, almost every single day I would wake up with more spots, but they would clear up and after time became less frequent. 

I wasn't applying any form of moisturiser out of fear that it would aggravate my skin, however the Acnecide Gel started to dry my skin hugely - I've never had dry skin so I panicked and started mass applying moisturiser, morning, night and before any make up application. I use Benefit's Total Moisture as it's my favourite moisturiser and its the thickest I own. 

I'm now on my second tube of Acnecide, my skin has cleared up dramatically, but it still has a long way to go. I'm starting to slowly introduce some other skincare into my routine, one product at a time. Acnecide however, has become part of my skincare routine and probably will be for quite a while - but that's fine because I can see how much of a difference it is making.  





No comments:

Post a Comment